Have you ever wondered why you miss some personal or even professional goals? Appropriate goal setting is key to achieving what you want. Without a goal their is no target to hit.
Wrong Way to Set Goals
Most people don’t know how to set goal, they are either vague or not specific enough. These are some examples of goals that people usually set:
- I am going to lose weight.
- I am getting a better job.
- I want to earn more money.
These goal examples won’t help the person achieve what he/she really wants. It is not specific enough, it has no way no measure it, they are not time bound.
How to Set S.M.A.R.T Goals
Use the following to set your S.M.A.R.T goals.
S: Specific. Be very specific of what you want..
M: Measurable. You need to measure your goal.
A: Attainable Something that you know you will achieve.
R: Realistic. Make it real, no fiction.
T : Time bound. You need to specify a due date.
Examples of S.M.A.R.T Goals
- I want to lose 20 pounds in two months.
- I want to be a senior executive in the finance department in 2 years.
- By the end of 2017 my income will be of $200,000.00 Tax Free.